Fortnite Is Bad But Sony's Refusal to Play Nice Is Worse

This is where developers will post their work. Whether or not it is official and gets scrapped is irrelevant. All work made by a developer goes here.

Fortnite Is Bad But Sony's Refusal to Play Nice Is Worse

Postby Mmoak2018 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:15 am

Earlier this past week, Nintendo thrilled Fortnite fans by declaring that the game, which might only be the most popular game being played at this time, was coming into the Switch instantly. Better yet, Fortnite Items players would have the ability to compete with PC and Xbox players, also --instantaneous digital multiplayer and distribution available to all! Nintendo's statement felt like a fantasy come true after years of console makers refusing to play fine. But it isn't a dream, because Sony continues to flip the bird to its competitors and Fortnite players on the PS4 are being left out in the cold, not able to play with Xbox or Switch players.

I am not overly mad about this, mainly since I hate Fortnite, which feels like a sloppy combination of match types thrust into a cartoonish world that lacks any true personality. Like, do I really need to play a battleroyale game sanitized for tweens and then raked over the Minecraft coals? f*ck no.

But goddamn I will fight for those annoying little twerps to play together and take all of the dumb loot they accrue in their account from 1 system to the next. As obnoxious as Fortnite is, Sony's steadfast refusal to play nice is worse.

I'm not the only one to think Sony's being obnoxious. Phil Spencer, Executive President of Gaming at Microsoft, mentioned the crossplay problem this week at E3. Framing it as a little against the precious kids, Spencer laid out a situation to Giant Bomb, saying:"When you bought your son, your child, an Xbox, and I bought my child a PlayStation -- and now I'm only a parent, it's their birthday, anything -- and the children want to go play Fortnite and they all of a sudden go home and can not play with one another Buy Fortnite materials." He added,"It does not feel as it helps the customers."

Obviously it doesn't! Sony isn't attempting to help the children, or the parents spending hundreds a bit on consoles. And Microsoft's framing of the problem as a little against customers isn't new. The business said something similar when it talked about courting Sony for crossplay back in August.
Mmoak2018

Return to Developer Work